A birth injury caused by the negligence of a medical practitioner or poor care given before, during or after pregnancy can be quite a traumatic experience for the entire family. A Personal Injury Lawyer can help you build a strong case against such a medical practitioner and help you claim compensation for your pain and medical expense.
What is a birth injury?
The birth of a baby is one of the most looked forward to events in any family’s life. It is an event which promises to bring a lot of happiness into the family. But the same joy turns into an inexplicable pain when the baby is injured before, during or after pregnancy due to negligence on the part of your medical practitioner. This could happen due to poor prenatal care, wrong advice given by your medical practitioner or negligence during delivery.
Some of the most common birth injuries are:
- Shoulder Dystocia : Shoulder dystocia is a situation where the baby’s head is born but the shoulder of the baby is stuck behind the pelvic bone of the mother.
- Brachial plexus palsy: This happens when the nerves of the brachial plexus in the baby have been damaged. This affects the baby’s control over the muscles of the arm.
- Cerebral Palsy: This is a dysfunction of the nervous system and affects the movements, learning and hearing of the baby.
- Erb’s Palsy: This is a form of the brachial plexus palsy.
- Klumpke’s Palsy: This is also a form of brachial plexus palsy which affects the lower vertebrae of the baby.
Any of these birth injuries could be because of negligence of the doctor during the birthing process. A birthing process not done properly can result in damaging the nerves which could affect the quality of life of the baby forever.
Other injuries which could be a result of improper care by medical practitioners include
- Defects arising because of a prescription of SSRI antidepressant when a woman is pregnant.
- Prenatal asphyxia leading to a brain damage.
- Any other form of brain damage
While it is impossible to restore the quality of life of your baby, it does not mean that the medical practitioner responsible for landing you in this situation does not bear the brunt of his mistakes. A birth injury could mean a long term expense on medical care. You can always claim compensation for your pain and for the medical expenses you incur because of negligence of the medical practitioner.
Helping hand from Birth Injury Lawyer
A good Birth Injury Lawyer knows the complex working of the medical industry. He will review your case and establish sufficient proof that a birth injury has taken place. A Birth Injury Lawyer has at his disposal the necessary resources to gather evidence which proves beyond doubt that the birth injury has taken place because of the negligence or poor care given by the medical practitioner. He will help you build a strong case in the court of law and ensure that you are well compensated for your pain, suffering and any and all medical expenses associated with the birth injury.
A birth injury lawyer understands birth injury and also understands the necessary compensation required to give a child thus born a chance at a good quality of life. He works for you to make sure that the medical practitioner involved in the birth injury bears the compensation for being negligent with his actions.